No announcement yet.

{The List-} Economics/Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the following system regulating special resources, which could work on top of SMAC-style automatic trade.

Strategic resource tiles produce a certain amount of raw materials per turn, say 100. The player then allocates a certain part of it for domestic consumption, and another that would be available for world trade.

Resources going towards domestic consumption, up to a certain level, help the economy. They might give bonus shields or stuff like that. Resources are then traded on the world market a la Hearts of Iron. Basically, if X has excess oil but no bauxite, he sets up the following offer on the trade screen: X is willing to buy 150 Bauxite per turn in exchange for 100 Oil.

Each turn, the game computes offer and demand and resolves who's getting what. Of course, the 'market pool' will be different for every civilization, because not everyone has the same commercial deals with other nations.

A government that wants to use resources has to buy them with gold from its citizens, and the price should vary depending on the government. In a Democracy that would be like 3gp per unit while in Communism resources for direct military use would be free.

So three things can be done with resources: bought for military use, kept for dometic consumption, or made available for other resources on the world market.

Luxuries should disappear. They are sufficiently abstracted by a SMAC-like automatic trade system.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

A new set of ideas

Hello!

I am new to Apolyton, but I have many ideas for Civ4's economic and trade system that I have discussed in other forums, such as Civilization Fanatics' Center. Since this list of ideas appears to already have been completed, however, is it too late for me to post any suggestions?
      UET Economist

Comment

Too late for what?

Firaxis almost assuredly already has their economics engine in place. Anything else is just for fun.

Comment

You're not too late for Civ 5!
          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

I guess I'm another camel lover who hates the CTP-type trading. Protecting the trade routes is unfun. I don't see why moving a camel ONCE from one city to another to establish a trade route (essentially by issuing a single GOTO command) is too much trouble and yet moving military units up and down the trade routes every single turn to protect them is not.

The CTP piracy idea was a broken idea [to make sure that players can't develop their empire peacefully without producing tons of military unit and brandishing them ? ]. I probably don't mind too much if destroying a trade route is considered an act of war, and should not be done lightly just to annoy the heck out of the human player.

I don't want to touch CTP and the annoying piracy is one of the reasons. It has nice graphics and some neat ideas for a user-friendy interface but that's about it .

Comment

Working...
            X